The Latest News on the Importance of Vitamin D
“Research is starting to show the importance of Vitamin D in strengthening your immune system and possibly reducing your risk/severity/death of COVID-19,” says Vitamin D Society Executive Director Perry Holman. “Increasing your daily intake of vitamin D is an action you can take immediately to safeguard your health until a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available. Many people have deficient or insufficient vitamin D levels. As we celebrate the 11th anniversary of World Vitamin D Day on Nov. 2, please evaluate your vitamin D intake and increase it to COVID-19 fighting levels.”
- Adults need a daily vitamin D intake of 4,000 IU/day (100 mcg) from all sources, according to vitamin D experts. Dr. Anthony Fauci, America’s top infectious disease expert, recommends vitamin D to reduce the risk of COVID-19. It was reported that Dr. Fauci takes 6,000 IU/day of vitamin D.
- Get out in the natural sunlight when the UV Index is above 3 and your shadow is shorter than you. Remember to never sunburn.
- Consider artificial UVB exposure when natural sunlight is weak or not available and your skin type can receive UV exposure without burning.
- Increase your food intake of fatty fish such as salmon.
- Take a vitamin D3 supplement to make up the balance when sun exposure is not available. UVB from sunlight or a sunlamp is what makes vitamin D naturally in your skin.
If you would like to read the Full Article Click the link https://www.vitamindsociety.org/press_release.php?id=63
TANNING BEDS PRODUCE VITAMIN “D” THE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN ‘D’ ARE TREMENDOUS.
Published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, The Boston University Research Team, including Vitamin D guru Dr.Michael F. Holick, showed that subjects who used a tanning bed had a 90% higher VITAMIN D LEVELS and significantly higher bone mineral density compared with non-tanners.
“Since some exposure to sunlight is beneficial to your health, it is reasonable that if you wish to be exposed to sunlight, that you can do so with relative safety if you make sure you do not develop a sunburn.”
Dr. Michael F Holick
Research Dermatologist and Photobiologist
Boston University School of Medicine
Please visit the VITAMIN D SOCIETY to learn more.
Tanning for a date, special function, wedding, prom, vacation, or just some summer fun.
More and more people are turning to tanning salons than ever before, for convenience, speed, control and the relaxation they provide. No one can argue that “sun-kissed” look directly communicates our type of lifestyle. It is the look that inspires inner confidence and when we see a bronzed body we think, attractive, glowing, sexy, and successful, everything that makes us look good and feel great. A tan is linked to how we view ourselves and how others view us as well.
Light is essential to all life on earth
There are various physiological and psychological reasons why exposure to light is desireable and necessary. Tanning is by no means a new fad or phenomena. The sun has always been mans constant companion, in essence those terraces and sun solariums from years ago were the equivalent of todays tanning salons. So it’s not new, all this tanning. There is a continued growing body of evidence, showing people actually require light exposure to function effectively. Light exposure produces various health benefits such as the very necessary production of Vitamin D3 for the prevention of bone density (such as osteoporosis).
NEWS & MEDIA
For the past 25 years, the Dermatologists Associations and Health Canada (Consumer And Clinical Radiation Protection Bureau … CCRPB), have been advising the Canadian public to avoid the sun. Their message of striving for total abstinence extends to advising that we use sunscreen at all times, including when we are indoors.
Here is what the pro-sunlight group has to say:
– Advice to avoid sun should be lifted!
Such advice is “draconian and unnecessary” (This could be one of the biggest revisions of health warnings in decades.) This statement was made January 30, 2004
Dr. Neil Walker – Chairman of the UK Skin Cancer Prevention Working Party.
– Sun avoidance will increase cancer risks.
Dr. Cedric F. Garland – Epidemiologist.
– Vitamin D deficiency is linked to increased number of cases and deaths from thirteen major cancers such as: breast, colon, prostate, ovarian and others.
Dr. William Grant.
– 30,000 US cancer deaths yearly would be averted by the widespread adoption of regular, moderate sun exposure. (This figure has been revised upwards by Dr. William Grant).
Dr. H. Gordon Ainsleigh .
– There is a Canada-wide epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency We get 90% of our Vitamin D requirements from exposure to ultraviolet light.
Dr. David Haney … states in a research article published in June 2002, that 97% of Canadians are Vitamin D deficient for part of each year, and 30% of us are chronically deficient all year long. …
– Ultraviolet light from sun beds makes Vitamin D.
– Vitamin D deficiency is linked to higher incidences of Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
Dr. Michael F. Holick.
– Vitamin D supplements are poor substitutes for sunlight.
Dr. David Haney.
Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol
The high rate of natural production of vitamin D3 cholecalciferol in the skin is the single most important fact every person should know about vitamin Do a fact that has profound implications for the natural human condition.
Technically not a “vitamin,” vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 1000 genes in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.
Vitamin D’s influence on key biological functions vital to one’s health and well-being mandates that vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health.
Sunshine and Your Health
If one regularly avoids sunlight exposure, research indicates a necessity to supplement with at least 5,000 units (IU) of vitamin D daily.
To obtain this amount from milk one would need to consume 50 glasses.
With a multivitamin more than 10 tablets would be necessary.
Neither is advisable.
The skin produces approximately 20,000 IU vitamin D in response 20-30 minutes summer sun exposure – 100 times more than the US government’s recommendation of 200 IU per day!
There are 3 ways for adults to insure adequate levels of vitamin D:
1. regularly receive midday sun exposure in the late spring, summer, and early fall, exposing as much of the skin as possible.
2. regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months.
3. take 5,000 IU per day for three months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test.
Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50 – 80 ng/mL (or 125 – 200 nM/L) year around.
Creighton to Continue Landmark Study on Vitamin D and Cancer Risk The National Institutes of Health has awarded Creighton University $4 million to continue its landmark study linking Vitamin D to a reduction in cancer risk.
The study’s findings, reported in June 2007, showed for the first time in a clinical trial that postmenopausal women consuming optimal amounts of calcium supplements as well as vitamin D3 supplements at nearly three times U.S. government recommended levels could reduce their risk of cancer by 60-77 percent.
Newswise, United Kingdom
Top cancer doctor says you should have a sunbed session
The message from doctors has long been unequivocal – there is no such thing as a safe suntan because sun exposure causes skin cancer. However, despite being a cancer expert myself, I have just spent the past four weeks on holiday in South Africa, where I made sure I got out into the sun every day… Daily Mail, United Kingdom
People who are exposed to more light feel happier, have stronger bones, enjoy life more & have higher Vitamin D levels … so visit Tantalize today!!!